The Japanese people are well known for their ancient wisdom and practices. They boast of a rich culture that stems from deep observations of life and people, churning out the most amazing sayings that inspire with their simplicity and truth.
Below are 27 Japanese proverbs that will change your life and the way you think, respond and relate with people.
- If a problem can be solved, then it’s not worth worrying about it. If it can’t be solved, then it’s useless to worry about it.
- A husband and wife should be similar to a hand and an eye: when one’s hand hurts, the eyes cry; and when the eyes cry, the hand wipes away one’s tears.
- When one is in love, even the scars left by smallpox are as beautiful as dimples on a person’s cheeks.
- Check seven times before ever doubting someone.
- Cold tea and cold rice are bearable, but cold looks and cold words are not.
- The tongue is but three inches long, yet it can kill a man six feet high.
- The reputation of a thousand years may be determined by the conduct of one hour.
- If you understand everything you must be misinformed.
- We learn little from victory and much from defeat.
- Fortune will always come in to a house with laughter.
- Even monkeys can fall from their trees.
- If you decide to set off on your own journey, you will find yourself alone for a thousand kilometers.
- A bad craftsman never made a perfect vase.
- He who endures for just half an hour longer than his opponent can achieve victory.
- A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
- If you ask, you will feel shame for one minute, if you do not, you will feel shame all your life.
- If you think about it, decide it. If you have decided, do not think about it.
- One kind word can warm three winter months.
- Boasting begins where wisdom stops.
- One who smiles rather than rages is always the stronger one.
- The smallest good deed is better than the grandest good intention.
- A frog in a well does not know the greatness of the sea.
- The sun does not know who is right or who is wrong. It shines without purpose and provides warmth to all.
- The earth always hardens after the rain.
- Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.
- Fear is only as deep as the mind allows.
- Beginning is easy, continuing is hard.
Proverbs are reflections of experiences that have been witnessed and confirmed over generations repeatedly! Read, understand and pick a few that stick with you and apply them to your daily life!