Connect with us

Pets

Dog Tragically Dies After Eating Brownies That Contained Sweetener

Published

on

Dog Tragically Dies After Eating Brownies That Contained Sweetener

A heartbroken dog owner is sharing the story of the death of her furry friend to warn other pet owners in the hope that no one else goes through what she did.

Ruby, a naughty Hungarian Vizsla, had mischievously stolen two homemade brownies which contained Xylitol, a form of sweetener, commonly found in products like sugar free sweets, gum, peanut butters, some baking mixes and chocolate.

Xylitol is extremely toxic to dogs and can cause liver failure. Just 36 hours after she ate the brownies, Ruby fell sick and deteriorated over the next week. Unfortunately, on October 19 2018, Ruby passed away.

Ruby, a naughty Hungarian Vizsla, had mischievously stolen two homemade brownies which contained Xylitol, a form of sweetener

Ruby, a naughty Hungarian Vizsla, had mischievously stolen two homemade brownies which contained Xylitol, a form of sweetener

Ruby’s owner, 51-year-old Kate Chacksfield was left heartbroken. She had tried all she could to save her dog’s life and had spent over £10,000 for her treatment, to no avail.

Read Also: Yelling At Your Dogs Traumatizes Them Long-Term, Study Says

Determined to raise awareness for the dangers of dogs consuming natural sweeteners, Kate decided to share her story online.

“I only made brownies with Xylitol in to reduce the amount of sugar I was eating. But while I was out, Ruby managed to get into the container off the side in the kitchen and eaten a couple. She seemed fine at first and it wasn’t until a couple of days later she began being violently ill and I took her to the vets.

“I had no idea how serious eating natural sweeteners was for dogs, the photos of her on life support still make me cry. We’ve had her since she was a puppy and I’m completely lost without her.”

Kate says Ruby had eaten chocolate brownies in the past, but a vet told her that small amounts of chocolate aren’t too harmful to dogs her size.

Kate says Ruby had eaten chocolate brownies in the past, but a vet told her that small amounts of chocolate aren’t too harmful to dogs her size.

Kate says Ruby had eaten chocolate brownies in the past, but a vet told her that small amounts of chocolate aren’t too harmful to dogs her size. So when she found out Ruby had eaten brownies yet again, she wasn’t too alarmed until she began getting really sick.

“Ruby began being violently sick so I rushed her to the vets who sent her home after checking her over. But soon after she collapsed and we took her back as soon as possible – it was then they started treating her for rat poison because of her symptoms.

“We just thought she may have eaten some by mistake in the park or something – it never crossed my mind to mention the brownies.” Kate said.

Ruby’s condition continued to deteriorate until she died of liver failure and a suspected stroke at The Royal Veterinary College, London.

Ruby’s condition continued to deteriorate until she died of liver failure and a suspected stroke at The Royal Veterinary College, London.

Ruby’s condition continued to deteriorate until she died of liver failure and a suspected stroke at The Royal Veterinary College, London.

It wasn’t until after Ruby’s death that vets asked if she may have consumed Xylitol which is when Kate realized the brownies were the cause of her dog’s demise.

“I had absolutely no idea Xylitol was harmful to dogs what so ever and I was heartbroken when they told me and I knew it was too late for Ruby.

It wasn’t until after Ruby’s death that vets asked if she may have consumed Xylitol which is when Kate realized the brownies were the cause of her dog’s demise.

It wasn’t until after Ruby’s death that vets asked if she may have consumed Xylitol which is when Kate realized the brownies were the cause of her dog’s demise.

“I really, really urge other dog owners to read up on the dangers of Xylitol in dogs and urgently take their pets to the vet if they accidentally consume it as it could be the difference between life and death.”

Our deepest sympathies go out to Kate.

Remember to share this article to share this information amongst all animal lovers and help save a dog’s life.

Advertisement