Turmeric is also known as the ‘golden spice’ among many other names because of its color. It lives up to this title due to its amazing health benefits. Turmeric has been used for at least over 4000 years as a spice and medicine.
Although we may not know it, according to some historians Turmeric is said to have been the ‘gold’ that was brought to baby Jesus by the wise men, and references to it in ancient medicine goes even further back than that.
Turmeric is so powerful because of the wealth of beneficial compounds that are present within it. It has antibacterial, anticarcinogenic, antioxidant, antimutagenic, antifungal, antiviral, and anti-inflammatory properties. It is rich in many healthy nutrients such as iron, dietary fiber, niacin, magnesium, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Vitamin K, potassium, protein, calcium, copper, and zinc.
- Prevents cancer
In studies it has been shown that turmeric can help prevent prostate cancer and against radiation-induced tumors. It has also been shown to actually prevent growth of tumor cells like T-cell leukemia, colon cancer and breast cancer.
- Treats depression
The active ingredient in turmeric, circumin is full of antioxidants, which are clinically proven to be an effective anti-depressant.
- Relieves arthritis
Because of its excellent anti-inflammatory properties, turmeric is great for treating rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis and general joint pain.
- Boosts the immunity
Turmeric contains lipopolysaccharide which has antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal effects which helps strengthen the immune system. Taken on a regular basis, turmeric will ensure you don’t catch as many colds or viruses.
- Heals wounds
Turmeric has strong antiseptic and antiviral properties, meaning it is effective at treating wounds, burns and other skin conditions such as psoriasis.
- Maintains healthy heart
Turmeric is great for maintaining a healthy heart as it breaks down fat and cholesterol which can lead to heart diseases.
- Maintains the ideal weight
Turmeric can help you maintain a healthy weight as it breaks down bile which is main component in dietary fat. Also, it’s delicious and unique flavor gives life to vegetable-based meals that will help you feel fuller without reaching for bad foods.
- Prevents Alzheimer’s disease
Turmeric has properties which are essential to healthy blood and oxygen flow in the body. Alzheimer is caused by a buildup of proteins in the brain, which could be helped by keeping blood flow in the brain at a healthy level.
- Protects the liver
Turmeric is full of enzymes which detoxify the body. Give your liver a boost by introducing turmeric to help it function at its best.
How to get prepare turmeric to reap its health benefits
- 1 cup hot water
- ½ tsp fresh grated turmeric
- dash of black pepper
- raw honey to taste
- squeeze of lime (makes turmeric more bioavailable)
Heat up the water until it boils. Add turmeric and let it simmer for 5 minutes. Remove the water from the stove and strain the tea. Add the remaining ingredients. Let it sit for 10 minutes then serve.
- ½ lemon
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder or ½ inch turmeric root
- sea salt
Juice the lemon and turmeric, spice it with a pinch of salt, pour it in a glass and drink it. If you don’t have a juicer you can use fresh lemon, squeeze it and add turmeric powder and salt in it.
Add some turmeric on your traditional eggs in the morning.
- 1 knuckle chopped/grated turmeric
- 4 cups veggie or organic bone broth
Heat up some water until it boils. Add both turmeric and broth and simmer for 15 minutes, strain chunks out, add some black pepper and enjoy in the new flavor of your soup.
Add some turmeric in your favourite smoothie or try this recipe:
*1 tsp turmeric powder/fresh turmeric
*½ coconut or almond milk
*1 tsp hemp seed hearts
*1 ½ cups frozen pineapple or mango
*1 tsp maca root
*2 tbsp coconut flakes
*dash of black pepper
Add all the ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.
If you are in a hurry you can simply mix some warm milk with 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder. If you have some time to spare then try the recipe below.
- 1 tsp turmeric powder/fresh grated
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ tsp ginger powder/fresh grated
- ¼ tsp vanilla
- dash of cardamom
- dash of clove
- dash of cinnamon
- 1 cup coconut or almond milk
- 2 tsp raw honey
Put all ingredients in a pot and simmer them for 1 min. Pour in a cup and enjoy.
- 1 gallon Filtered or Spring Water
- 1 cup of fresh Turmeric or ⅓ cup dried whole root
- 1 cup organic sugar or rapadure
- 1 cup of fresh Ginger
- ½ cup Water Kefir Grains
- First you need to peel the ginger and turmeric and roughly chop.
- Then pour the water into a pan, put it on the stove and bring to a boil.
- Put the ginger and turmeric into the pot.
- Lover the temperature, cover the pot and cook for an hour.
- When is done move to the refrigerator to cool.
- When it cools, strain out the ginger and the turmeric.
- Then pour the liquid into a large one gallon glass jar.
- Then add the sugar or rapadura and mix up until it is dissolved.
- Lastly add the water kefir grains.
- Cover the glass with a dish towel and let it sit for 3-5 days.
- Try it- if it tastes tangy, a bit sour and is fizzy then it’s done.
- Keep it in the refrigerator and enjoy it whenever you want.