From the bending meditation of yoga to the precise relief of acupuncture, we’ve found plenty of ways to relieve our aches and pains beyond the confines of traditional medicine. Yet, there’s another method of which many Westerners are totally unaware. Originating in India, mudra hand gestures are designed to stimulate all parts of the body—and mind. There are eight basic gestures in all, and when you see what they can do, you’ll be trying them right away!
1. GYAN MUDRA
This gesture is believed to increase the air element, and to help with enthusiasm, creative thinking, and drowsiness.
2. VAAYU MUDRAThis is intended to decrease the air element, and to help with an overanxious mind.
3. AAKASH MUDRAThis gesture aims to increase the space element, and to relieve fear, sorrow, anger, and congestive issues.
4. SHUNYA MUDRAThis gesture decreases the space element, and helps with pain in the ear.
5. PRITHVI MUDRAThis gesture increases the earth element and decreases the fire element. It also relieves fatigue and help muscles heal.
6. SURYA MUDRAThis gesture increases the fire element, while decreasing the earth. It is “ideal” for those with suppressed thyroid activity.
7. VARUN MUDRAThis gesture is believed to increase the water element. It will aid with painful joints, arthritis, and cramps.
8. JAL SHAAMAK MUDRAThis gesture is believed to decrease the water element, and is good for those who have excessive sweat glands, runny noses, and watery eyes.
Those are some super simple ways to potentially help your body run right — and you can do them while sitting at your desk. Not bad!