Two years after beating cancer, four young girls reunited for a celebratory photoshoot, and the pictures are all sorts of incredible. McKinley, Chloe, Ava, and Lauren, were all diagnosed with cancer and were treated at Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital in St. Petersburg.
The little girls all had different types of cancer, but they all met when being treated in the same ward. The four instantly became very close friends and spent as much time with each other as they could while going through treatments.
Lauren’s mom, Shawna Glynn, said, “She’s three years old and doesn’t have any hair, but all her friends in the hospital look the same way. So it kind of gave her some normality.”
“It was just always a breath of fresh air to see a familiar face, and to know that she wasn’t alone in there.” Another mom added.
The girls’ close relationship also helped their parents cope a little better, dealing with such a trying period in not just their kids’ lives, but theirs as well.
“From the standpoint of a mom, too, having other moms to relate to has been phenomenal. Just to have other people going through it at the same time as us.” Karen Moore, McKinley’s mom said.
“It gives me chills, it makes me want to cry. I mean, I love these kids as if they were my own, for sure. They’re awesome.” Paige Ward, a nurse at Johns Hopkins who took care of all the girls explained.
They may be just little girls, but the hurdles they have been able to overcome at such tender ages are incredibly amazing. What’s even more special about their story, is the beautiful friendship they have all been able to build while fighting such tough battles.
The girls have all beaten cancer, with Lauren finishing her treatment not too long ago and set to start kindergarten soon. The girls are also happy that they now have their long hair back as well and are planning to have their reunions every year.
Mom Is Heartbroken After 35-Year-Old Son Dies From Guzzling 4 Energy Drinks Per Day
Shani Clarke was watching her 35-year-old son, Michael Clarke, clean out his truck when she noticed his large collection of energy drinks. She voiced her concern but he shrugged her off and that was the end of their conversation.
A few weeks later, Michael was found slumped over in his vehicle. He had suffered a massive heart attack. Doctors later found out the heart attack had been caused by caffeine toxicity.
On Facebook a heartbroken Shani wrote, “I can’t tell you the pain I felt at that moment, my heart just hit the floor and I sobbed and sobbed. He was cleaning his truck out and I saw he had an armful of the big cans of Mother and I said ‘I hope you’re not drinking too many of them in one go’ which he just shrugged off as we mums know nothing, I didn’t think much more of it at the time.”
After her son’s death in January of 2014, Shani began to put the pieces together. Talking to ABC News Shani revealed that a short while before he passed away, her son complained of indigestion. “The coroner said the indigestion could have been mistaken for a mild heart attack,” she said.
Shani had also noticed that Michael would purchase four-packs of Mother energy drinks, which contain 160mg of caffeine per can. The FDA recommends no more than 400 mg per day. Michael would also drink several cups of coffee when he got home.
Keen on creating awareness and teaching others of the dangers of caffeine after her son’s death, Shani created a Facebook group, Caffeine Toxicity Death Awareness.
Even though Michael died almost 6 years ago, Shani is still working devotedly to inform people about caffeine toxicity.
In 2018, she had a conversation with a woman who drank Red Bull every day.
“Things ALWAYS happen for a reason, my back has been bad this week so got a dog wash lady to come round … and of course the caffeine subject came up and BAM she drinks Redbull every single day! We had a BIG chat and gave her some cards to join the caffeine toxicity group to get help to come off, she has been thinking that she needs to stop but today I gave her the reason to stop…..another one to add to your list Michael Clarke of people you have helped.” Shani posted in 2018.
Please remember to always use caution when consuming caffeine, don’t mix energy drinks with other caffeinated products and if you feel sick stop use immediately.
Remember to share this story to let others know the potential dangers of consuming too much caffeine.
Mom Finds Terrible Blisters In 1-Year-Old’s Mouth, Takes Him to the Doctor and Tests Positive for Herpes
Samantha Rodger’s baby, Juliano, was only 1 year old when she noticed harsh red bumps and blisters in his mouth. Baby Juliano tested positive for the herpes virus but his mom has no idea who her son could have caught the virus from. She is now warning other parents to be careful when letting people hold their babies.
“It’s a lifelong problem now. I don’t know how to handle this. I am trying my best. It breaks my heart, and I can’t do anything to help him.” Samantha Rodgers explained to Fox 12 Oregon regarding her son’s diagnosis.
Samantha explained that when she first noticed the red blisters forming on her son Juliano’s mouth she took him to the hospital. Doctors originally suspected he had the flu or Hand Foot and Mouth Disease but his sores began to spread.
“His sores were growing onto his hands and neck and his stomach,” Samantha told Fox 12 Oregon.
Eventually, doctors decided to test Juliano for herpes simplex type 1 virus (HSV). To Samantha’s dismay, the tests came back positive.
“Doctors told me that it could have killed him if he wasn’t treated in time, it’s terrifying. I want other parents to know just how dangerous it can be.” Samantha told The Sun.
The Department of Health reports that Herpes is highly contagious, and can be spread through skin-to-skin touching, saliva, or touching objects infected with the virus.
Babies are particularly at risk, since their immune systems are not fully developed.
Unfortunately, there is no cure for herpes. To treat the virus, young kids like Juliano need to take antiviral medication for 21 days.
According to a Facebook post by Rodgers, the infant was back home on July 28.
“All I can say is just be cautious. It can be anybody- your best friend, your sister, your brother or your mom,” Samantha said. “If you see a cold sore or anything on them, just don’t let them come by your baby.”
11-Year Boy Wakes Up With Horrific Burns After Friend Pours Boiling Hot Water On Him
The hot water challenge, as it is popularly known on the internet, is a ‘game’ that should be stopped immediately as it is leaving horrific affects where its tried. There are still a number of clips on Youtube of people playing the game, where the players challenge each other regarding who can take the boiling water on their skin or actually drink it!
Sadly, the craze has now spread to young children. Last week, while at a sleepover, an 11-year-old boy from Kentucky was left with horrific burns after his friends poured boiling water on him. The boy identified as Billy Oliver suffered second and third-degree burns, according to WYMT. He is currently undergoing treatment at the Cincinnati Burn Center.
”When I first heard about it I was amazed. I mean, I am familiar with various things that people do that aren’t very wise. To burn someone is to inflict such incredible pain and suffering on them and I don’t think that is the intent.” Dr. Susan Pollack, pediatrician at Kentucky Children’s Hospital said.
Billy had gone to bed early before his friends, only to be shocked awake with immense pain when they poured the boiling water on him. ”On a one, well on a zero to ten scale how bad it hurt, it was a ten,” Billy told WYMT.
Billy further revealed that the challenge involved either ingesting boiling water or throwing it at someone else.
Billy’s sister Emily shared scary photos of her brother on Facebook to warn others about the dangerous new game. ”This is no joke if you are a parent please talk to your kids about this challenge my brother is in Cincinnati Children’s Hospital because of this and has to have surgery this challenge is not a game it’s dangerous,” she wrote.
According to The Metro, Angela Guth, the mother of Billy’s friend, didn’t take Billy to hospital after the incident. She now faces charges for second-degree criminal abuse and first-degree wanton endangerment.
2 years ago, 10 year old Wesley Smith from North Carolina spent several weeks undergoing surgery in the Winston Salem Burn Center after he and his step-brother attempted the Hot Water Challenge. His burns, WBTV reports, were scalding.
An 8 year old Ki’ari Pope from Boynton Beach, Florida, tragically died two years ago due to complications after drinking boiling water through a straw. Ki’ari’s cousin had dared her to perform this hazardous act to re-enact a YouTube video they’d seen on the hot water challenge, the Palm Beach Post reports.
Jamoneisha Merritt, an 11 year old from the Bronx, New York, was admitted to Harlem Hospital with second-degree burns to her face, neck, shoulders and chest, NY1 reports. The girl’s 12 year old friend had poured boiling water on her during a sleepover.
This is certainly a very dangerous game with the potential to cause severe and even life-threatening burns and parents need to be on high alert.
Please remember to share this article to spread awareness of this dangerous trend.