Home News Alec Baldwin formally charged with involuntary manslaughter in Rust shooting of cinematographer

Alec Baldwin formally charged with involuntary manslaughter in Rust shooting of cinematographer

3500

Alec Baldwin is now facing legal consequences for the death of a cinematographer during the filming of Rust in 2021.

He was charged with involuntary manslaughter because prosecutors believe he was using his phone during a firearms training session. The armorer for the film has also been charged for the same reason following the death of Halyna Hutchins.

The scary incident happened on October 21, 2021 during the filming of Rust. The prop gun that actor Baldwin was holding accidentally discharged and killed a crew member. The director, Joel Souza, was also hurt in the incident.

After the tragedy, Baldwin expressed his condolences and went on to say that he wasn’t to blame for the fatal shot. He said someone had put a live bullet in the gun, which shouldn’t have been on the set, and that someone else was responsible, but he couldn’t say who.

Hutchin’s widower, Matthew Hutchins, filed a lawsuit for wrongful death the last year.

According to the complaint filed by Matthew, Baldwin allegedly shot and killed Halyna Hutchins while on the set of the movie Rust. The lawsuit asked for money to cover the costs of the funeral and burial, as well as compensation for the loss of love, companionship, and other emotional support from Hutchins.

The lawsuit ended with Baldwin and Hutchins’ family reaching a private agreement. Despite claiming he did not shoot the gun, Baldwin expressed his happiness about settling the wrongful death lawsuit.

“We are pleased to announce today the settlement of the civil case filed on behalf of the family of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins. Throughout this difficult process, everyone has maintained the specific desire to do what is best for Halyna’s son,” the 64-year-old actor wrote on Instagram at the time.

“We are grateful to everyone who contributed to the resolution of this tragic and painful situation.”

Earlier this week, documents were released that explained the charges against Baldwin. According to the documents, Baldwin was talking to his family on the phone while he was being trained on how to use the prop gun that was going to be used on set. This led to him being accused of being distracted.

A special investigator for the district attorney’s office named Robert Shilling wrote a statement about the manslaughter charges. In the statement, he said that if Baldwin had followed the safety protocols and checked the gun with the film’s armorer, Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, the tragedy wouldn’t have happened. He also said that Baldwin’s deviation from the usual safety procedures caused the fatal shooting.

Shilling stated that Baldwin should have known the first rule of gun safety, which is never to point a gun at someone you don’t plan on shooting.

Baldwin and Gutierrez-Reed could end up spending 18 months behind bars and paying a $5,000 fine if they are convicted. They will be tried by a jury, according to prosecutors.

The legal representatives for Baldwin and Gutierrez-Reed have declared that they plan to challenge the accusations in court.

Let us know what you think about the whole incident in the comment section below.