Home Animals Are Himalayan salt lamps safe for your pets? Potential dangers revealed

Are Himalayan salt lamps safe for your pets? Potential dangers revealed

1147

Maddie Smith, a resident of New Zealand, recently took to Facebook to share a cautionary tale about her beloved cat Ruby. What began as an ordinary Wednesday morning took a devastating turn when Ruby started exhibiting unusual behavior.

Initially attributing it to the cold, Maddie and her family soon realized the severity of the situation upon returning home from work.

“The vets were extremely concerned,” Maddie recounted in her post, describing Ruby’s deteriorating condition. “She simply could not walk properly, could not hear or see, couldn’t even eat or drink properly because she couldn’t function her tongue the best.”

Tests later revealed that Ruby had suffered from severe salt poisoning, a condition that caused dangerous swelling in her brain. Maddie attributed this poisoning to their Himalayan salt lamp, a fixture innocuously placed in their lounge. “Ruby has ingested the salt by simply licking the lamp,” Maddie explained, expressing shock at the unforeseen consequences.

Vets and medical experts have since underscored the dangers these lamps pose to pets, warning that salt poisoning can be fatal if animals consume excessive amounts. “The taste can be addictive,” Maddie added, noting the inherent risk if pets repeatedly lick the lamps.

According to veterinary guidelines, cats should consume no more than 42mg of salt per day to avoid poisoning. While Himalayan salt lamps are generally safe when out of reach, Maddie emphasized the importance of pet-proofing homes to prevent such incidents.

Ruby’s survival, deemed miraculous by Maddie and her family, serves as a poignant reminder of the hidden hazards within households. Maddie concluded her post urging pet owners to share her story widely to raise awareness about the risks associated with Himalayan salt lamps.